in2Great | BONE BROTH: THE HEALING DRINK YOU SHOULD BE DRINKING!
If you’re not using this healing drinks, you should! Bone broth is one of the most versatile, nutrient dense, and cost effective healing foods available to us.
When I say bone broth, I mean your basic homemade chicken or beef stock.
A study of chicken soup (broth) conducted by the University of Nebraska Medical Center wondered what it was in the soup that made it so beneficial for colds and flu. They found that the amino acids produced when making chicken stock reduced inflammation and improved digestion. Broth also improves immunity, allergies, asthma and eczema.
Homemade broth delivers minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. It also has amino acids such as glycine and proline and glutamine.
Benefits of Bone Broth
- The bones when simmered for hours release gelatin which is a major player in gut healing. Gelatin helps to seal the gut lining which increases nutrient absorption, and decreases food sensitivity reactions. Overall, the health of the gut has an impact on your whole body- from mood to immunity.
- Glycine is a conditionally essential amino acid which means the body makes some but we need more from our foods. There isn’t any part of the body that doesn’t use glycine in some capacity. It’s like glue that supports and holds cells together. Glycine helps control blood sugar and insulin levels. It also builds the cells that are the “front line defense” of our immune system.
- Bone marrow from simmered bones helps the body make red blood cells (RBC) and hemoglobin (Hgb) production which can be a support in anemia or risk for anemia.
- Because of the powerful way bone broth aids in digestion, it can actually improve digestion of food. Broth helps to calm the immune response in the GI tract which can aids in reducing food sensitivities. This calming effect helps good gut bacteria to thrive, which is what we want!
- Bone broth is a good source of calcium and many other minerals! If you are on a dairy-free diet and wonder if you are getting enough calcium, drink your broth. Additionally, broth has magnesium too which helps the body use calcium well.
- Source of collagen to improve skin, joints and ligaments. Collagen is an important part of all connective tissue in the body. Athletes can really benefit from using bone broth regularly.
When learning to make bone broth, don’t overthink the details. You really can’t mess this up! Bone broth is an amazing food that comes right out of your kitchen!
Now that we’ve convinced you it’s worth it… get our LifeWorks Integrative Health recipe by clicking the image below.
Want to Buy Broth?
Pre-made Quality Broth:
PaleoFit Meals: High quality, nutrient dense food delivered to your door with nationwide shipping
The Broth Pot in Kansas City: Pre made quality bone broth from chicken or bison
Simple Science Juice: Not just high quality, organic juice- they make eating real food easy and can keep you stocked with broth
Kaayla T. Daniel, “Why Broth is Beautiful: Essential Roles for Proline, Glycine and Gelatin,” Weston A. Price Foundation. http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/why-broth-is-beautiful
University of Nebraska Medical Center. “Chicken Soup for a Cold” http://www.unmc.edu/publicrelations/chickensoup_newsrelease.htm
Kaayla T. Daniel, “Taking Stock: Soup for Healing Body, Mind, Mood, and Soul,” Psychology Today http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/naughty-nutrition/201202/taking-stock-soup-healing-body-mind-mood-and-soul
Sekhar RV, Patel SG, Guthikonda AP, Reid M, Balasubramanyam A, Taffet GE, Jahoor F. Deficient synthesis of glutathione underlies oxidative stress in aging and can be corrected by dietary cysteine and glycine supplementation. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.2011;94(3):847-53
Gersten D, The 20 Amino Acids: What They Are and How They Keep You Alive and Vibrant. http://www.imagerynet.com/amino/20_amino.html (accessed 28 June 2013).
Dr. Josh Axe: http://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/
Weston A Price: http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/why-broth-is-beautiful-essential-roles-for-proline-glycine-and-gelatin/
Dr. Allison Siebecker: http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.htm
Complete list of conditions brone broth benefits: http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.html